East Baton Rouge Veteran Service Office

4560 North Blvd. Suite 116
Baton Rouge, LA 70806

Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs

P.O. Box 94095
Baton Rouge, LA 70804
Phone: 225-219-5000 or 1-877-GEAUXVA
Fax: 225-219-5590

Important Forms

VA Form 21-526 – Application for Compensation or Pension- must be filed to apply for compensation or pension. Mail your DD-214 and the following forms to the VARO nearest your release destination 30 to 45 days before your release.

VA Form 21-4138 – Statement in Support of Claim – lets you explain why you deserve the benefits you are asking for because of your disability or disorder. It is best to have an experienced service representative help you complete the form.

VA Form 21-4142 – Authorization for Release of Information – If you have received medical or mental health care, that may be relevant to your claim, from anyone other than a VA Medical Facility, you need to fill out a VAF 21-4142 giving permission for release of medical records to the VA.

VA Form 10-10EZ – Enrollment for Medical Benefits – is used by the VA to determine if you can receive medical benefits. Complete the form and bring it with you to the VA medical facility where you will seek evaluation for treatment.

VA Form 28-1900 – Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Veterans – is needed to apply for the vocational rehabilitation program to help veterans who were disabled during their service reach maximum independence in daily living, to learn the skills needed to get a job, and to find and keep a job. Send Form 28-1900 to the VARO in your area 10 to 15 days before your release.

VA Form 70-3288 – Request for and Consent to Release of Information from Claimant’s Records – is used to get records relevant to your claim from VA facilities (regional offices, medical centers, outpatient clinics, and vet centers). Request a fee waiver under section 38 C.F.R. Sec.1.526 (h), which requires the VARO to provide a veteran with one set of his or her records free of charge.

VA Form 22-1990 – Application for Education Benefits – is used to apply for educational assistance under the following benefit programs: Post 9/11 GI Bill; Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB); Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR); Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP); Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP).

SF 180 – Request Pertaining to Military Records – is used to request copies of your DD214 or equivalent, all documents in your Official Military Personnel File, and Military Medical Records including Service Treatment Records, and Health and Dental Records.

Baton Rouge Mid city Outpatient Rehab

3601 North Blvd
Baton Rouge LA 70802
(225) 381-6520

Region II Capital Area Alliance for the Homeless**

153 North 17th St.
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
Phone: (225) 388-5800

Volunteers of America

7389 Florida Blvd Ste 101A
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
Phone: (225) 387-0061
Fax: (225) 381-7963

Alexandria VA Health Care Systems
Health Care for Reentry Veterans Specialist
P.O. Box 69004
Alexandria, LA 71306-9004
Phone: 1-800-375-8387 ext. 4258
Phone: 318-466-4258

Healthcare for Reentry Veterans (HCRV) is a service designed to address the needs for Veterans within 6 months of release or 4 months post release from incarceration. The central goal of the HCRV Program is to promote successful community integration of reentry Veterans by conducting outreach to Veterans while they are incarcerated and engage them in treatment and rehabilitation programs after release.

ELIGIBILITY for Reentry Services:

  • A Veteran currently incarcerated at a state or federal correctional facility within 6 months of release.
  • A Veteran released within the last 4 months from a state or federal correctional facility.
  • A Veteran serving a state prison sentence under contract at a county, parish or other local jail facility.

19th Judicial District Court

Suite 2101

300 North Blvd. 

Baton Rouge LA, 70801

Jimecia L Williams Office: 225-389-2553

Alexandria VA Health Care System Pineville, Louisiana

2495 Shreveport Highway
Pineville, LA 71306-9004
(318) 466-4000

Overton Brooks Medical Center

10 E. Stoner Avenue
Shreveport, LA 71101-4295
(318) 221-8411

VA’s National Call Center for Homeless Veterans Toll-free, 24/7 access: 1-877-424-3838, Grant and Per Diem Transitional Housing- provides supportive case management services to reduce substance abuse and psychiatric recidivism rates, a structured environment to assist veterans in obtaining their highest goals, prevent chronic homelessness, and provide assistance in achieving the goal of greater self determination.

Housing and Urban Development-Veterans Administration Supportive Housing Program (HUD-VASH)

The program helps veterans to secure independent housing in the community by providing rental payment assistance through “housing choice vouchers” issued by local public housing authorities and providing supportive case management services to assist the veteran with housing stability and fully integrating back into the community. Contact the appropriate Health Care for Homeless Veterans (HCHV) for the area in which you are interested in residing.

VA Education Benefits:
Beneficiaries incarcerated for other than a felony can receive full monthly benefits, if otherwise entitled. Convicted felons residing in halfway houses or participating in work release programs also can receive full monthly benefits. Claimants incarcerated for a felony conviction can be paid only the costs of tuition, fees, and necessary books, equipment, or supplies. VA cannot make payments for tuition, fees, books, equipment or supplies if another Federal, State or local program pays these costs in full. If another government program pays only a part of the cost of tuition, fees, books, equipment or supplies, VA can authorize the incarcerated claimant payment for the remaining part of the costs.

VARO needs formal notification from the prison of your release in order to re-start benefits. Form 21-4193, Notice to Department of Veterans Affairs of Veteran or Beneficiary Incarcerated in Penal Institution should be completed 30 days before release, signed by a prison official and submitted to VA Benefits Administration. The sooner that document is provided to VARO, the sooner VARO can begin to process your request.

Seeking Benefits On Your Own:
Although you are encouraged to seek the aid of a service representative, you may choose to apply for VA benefits on your own.

Write your HCRV Specialist, the local VA Regional Office or find the forms online.

You can also apply for certain benefits online at:

Use a return address to ensure mail gets to you as quickly as possible. Make photocopies of all forms for your records before sending your packet to the VARO nearest you.

Va Employment Services
The VA’s Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment services help veterans with service-connected disabilities by providing job training and counseling to those who have an employment handicap. Services include help finding a job, on-the-job training, job development, and vocational training. If you are not eligible for these services, a VA counselor may help you find other options, goals, or programs. Contact your VA Regional Office (VARO) at 1-800-827-1000, or go to

Veterans Incarcerated
The purpose of this organization is to provide service for veterans while striving to promote rehabilitation and a smooth transition back into society. It is open to any offender who has verifiable documentation (DD-214 or its equivalent) that he has served in any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces and who agrees to and applies the Vets Incarcerated by-laws and purpose. Services offered through this organization include literacy, education enhancement, connection with Veterans’ Benefits, job training and placement, career counseling, resume writing, transportation assistance, housing assistance, character development and fatherhood training.

Acadiana Legal Services Corporation (Lafayette Headquarters)
P.O. Box 4823 Lafayette, LA 70502-4823
Phone: 337-237-4320
Needs: Family & Juvenile; Housing; Life Planning; Public Benefits; Veterans

Baton Rouge Bar Foundation Pro Bono Project

541 Main Street Baton Rouge, LA 70802
Phone: 225-344-4803
Needs: Consumer; Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy; Family & Juvenile; Life Planning; Public Benefits; Veterans

Lafayette Parish Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers

P.O. Box 2194 505 Lafayette, LA 70502
Phone: 337-237-4700
Needs: Consumer; Elder Law; Family & Juvenile; Housing; Life Planning; Public Benefits; Veterans

The Pro Bono Project

615 Baronne Street Suite 201
New Orleans, LA 70113
Phone: 504-581-4043
Needs: Community Development; Consumer; Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy; Disability; Elder Law; Employment; Family & Juvenile; Health; Housing; Life Planning; Nonprofit Organizations; Public Benefits; Veterans